The Long Simmering Plastic Bowl Fire
While the home in Meridian, TX, was for sale, the homeowner was out of town for a few days. Some where between showing the home and a friend feeding the pets, a burner got turned on and a plastic bowl was on the burner.
The bowl simmered and slowly melted for hours. The result was light soot , except around the stove and microwave. The extra problem with the light soot was the exceptionally strong burnt smell that went with it...everywhere and on everything.
SERVPRO of Waco restoration company cleaned the contents and the structure, including ozone treatments.
The smell ended up causing replacement of the vinyl kitchen floor and painting of the downstairs.
Very powerful smell comes from slow burning plastic!!