Wet After Tornado
Water damaged second story sub-flooring after a tornado
This second floor hall has had the carpet and pad removed after suffering water intrusion during a tornado and heavy rain event.
To the left, not shown, is the door out into the attic where the metal roof was blown off the building.
Water damage from a tornado can come in from the roof or other blown open areas and come down trough the building, as was the case in this home.
Opening the closet door to what had come to look like a patio was quite the experience.
SERVPRO of Waco, a restoration company, lined up the help needed to secure the roof. We removed the carpet, etc., to get the home on the path to dried out and repaired.
SERVPRO of Waco has been helping folks in the greater Waco area and through out Central Texas through property damage situations since 2001.
Let us help you.
SERVPRO of Waco (254) 756-4300
Re-Contamination of Soot & Dust
A return of soot and dust after the room was cleaned of soot and dust.
Often after a fire it is necessary to clean nearby and/or adjoining offices or rooms to make them usable while work begins and progresses in the area where the fire occurred.
Most of the time, this works out fine with only a bit of inconvenience.
Sometimes there is a bit of a smell or something minor for a while.
And then sometimes, each day greets you with a new round of soot and dust on the flat surfaces. While it gets less and less after each cleaning, it is a frustration.
Are the doors being opened too much while air is being disturbed in the fire damage area?
Are doors or windows to the outside opened in the fire damage area?
Is the HVAC system somehow getting new soot in it?
It becomes a mystery to solve.
Fire Flying Objects
Ceiling area struck by flying air container during a fire
All sorts of hazards can occur during a fire.
One not thought of right off the bat is the danger of objects filled with compress air, gases or liquids becoming projectiles.
Many of these type items are in metal cylinders of some sort which virtually explode launching the container in almost any direction.
The picture attached is of damage left behind after an air supply cylinder hit the ceiling during a fire. Another cylinder was launched through an office window and one hit an exit door.
Fortunately, the people who discovered the fire shut the door immediately upon discovering the fire. Without having opened it much at all.
Opening the door could have been a disaster for several possibilities.
Our kitchens and bathrooms also contain bottles of compressed substances which could become dangerous flying objects as well.
Carpet Pad with Moisture Barrier
This is what happens to water/liquids which get under a carpet pad and can't be extracted or evaporate through a moisture barrier.
We sometimes encounter wet carpeting with a moisture barrier in water damaged areas.
Guess there can be a pretty strong attraction to them as an extra charge upgrade. If something gets spilled, by the kids, grand kids or...pets, it doesn't soak on through the carpeting down into the pad. It is also theoretically easier to clean up since it is right on the surface until you can wipe it up.
There are two cons to these moisture barriers. Should anything happen where some water of quantity gets on the floor or a spill is near the edge/seam, the liquid will go under the pad. Under the pad means under the moisture barrier. It is essentially on the wrong side of the barrier.
Pulling the carpet back, and probably removing the padding is the only choice to get the water/liquid out. Very disruptive.
Also, can't say I am in favor of anything that traps moisture inside a building. It doesn't evaporate well at all and can lead to other, undesirable consequences.
Vinyl Wallpaper and Mold
Suspected mold on the wall behind removed cove based trim and obviously growing behind the wal behind the vinyl wallpaper.
Vinyl wallpaper is a favorite in commercial decorating. It is tough wearing, thick stuff that is available in a vast array of colors, patterns and textures.
Put some up in my first house. It was pretty easy to work wit too.
The big problem with the stuff is that it is an instant moisture barrier. Humidity and water from leaks, etc. is just trapped there right behind it. No evaporating or vapor transferring happening.
What can follow follow is that four letter bad word in building health conditions. That's right, mold.
Drying wet walls, even realizing you have wet walls, is more difficult with a plastic film covering them.
It is a lot healthier for the building if the walls are breathing.
If you need any advice or moisture testing, please let us help you.
SERVPRO of Waco (254) 756-4300
Five Inches of Rain & the Light is Coming Down
The ceiling just isn't drying fast enough.
While it would be great if everything attached to the ceiling was fastened into the rafters, that is not always the case. Often it is not practical.
Try putting up a towel rack in your bathroom that hits a wall stud on each side.
This can be true of longish light fixtures as well.
After 5" of rain wet drywall appeared around this light fixture. SERVPRO of Waco was at the company on another matter but noticed this. We were able to locate the source, which was a roof leak which had gone undetected until the deluge.
Insulation was removed from the affected area and air movement was placed to dry the ceiling drywall.
However, it became apparent during the drying that the weight of the fixture was stretching the drywall out before it could dry.
The maintenance folks removed the fixture.
Something to keep an eye on in large quantity rain events.
Big Trouble from this Little Faucet
So harmless looking.
Ever think about all the plumbing and fixtures which go into a large buildings designed for thousands of guests?
Even in new houses/remodels, all the new plumbing in the walls, at the fixtures, etc.
And they either work right, or they don't. Things happen.
The water supply to this little fixture here almost brought a major high profile construction project to its knees, close to the project delivery date. Yes, it leaked, big time.
SERVPRO of Waco was brought in for extraction and drying.
Fortunately, the nearby stairwell and mechanicals (unfortunately) drained the bulk of the water.
Our job got smaller and smaller as we approached the site. Still there was work to be done.
Wonder if the custodial staff these days has any idea what happened from this little sink area?
Fire truck, refilled, and headed back to the fire line.
Wildfires are Different.
Rarely are we called onto a fire loss while the fire department(s) are still fighting the fire. Our last wild fire damage job put us onto country roads the fire departments fighting the fire were still using as one of the accesses to get to the backside of the traveling fire line. The staging area and firefighter parking area were on the road leading to our job.
We certainly got over and out of the road when they approached.
And talk about dust! Turns out firetrucks loaded with water crush small stone roads into dust roads.
The fire fighters did an excellent job. The customer we helped had little direct fire damage. They did have some odor and light soot.
SERVPRO of Waco, a restoration company, has been helping folks in the greater Waco and Central Texas area get things back to normal after damages to their homes, buildings and businesses for 19 years.
There's Water In There?
Yes, the Light Globe is Full of Water.
Yes, water from a source above the room or area affected by the water damage can accumulate in the light fixture.
This fixture involved in a Whitney, TX, area tornado and thunderstorm fill up so much with water, it became dim....and warm. The bulb was heating the water.
Water can get into a light fixture traveling along wires in the ceiling or attic. It can also just soak straight though the drywall, etc., right into the globe and hold the water. Turns out light globes will hold water.
Water will also run along electric lines in the ceiling or attic and drop off at low points or obstacles. This can produce water spots in the ceiling well away from the main affected areas. Usually the amount of water traveling the line is small, but problematic.
Normally, the water won't have any real affect on the electricity itself.
SERVPRO of Waco, a restoration company has been helping folks in the greater Waco and Central Texas areas deal with water related issues for 19 years.
If you have problems with water where water shouldn't be, give us a call at (254) 756-4300. We'll be glad to help.
The PUMP HOUSE
The PUMP HOUSE - got to love it!
We finally found it.
While removing trim from very wet walls on a Hamilton, TX area ranch, water suddenly began to flow from the wall.
Seems we pulled off a piece of trim which had been nailed into a water pipe when the home was built.
The house was quite a distance, and two gates from the road. a quick look around the grass area surrounding the house didn't have a turn off.
Calling our contact, over 100 miles away, found that the two people who knew where the shut off was were unavailable and a spouse, in panic, was trying to locate someone who knew.
We went to the road and walked up and down the mowed area there by the entrance. Nothing there.
Finally, the spouse called back with news of a pump house but didn't know where it was. Once we knew what we were looking for we were able to find the pump house and shut off the water.
As the home had a water damage already, the water that flowed onto the floor was easily removed.
Just love the name "Pump House". So appropriate on a hunting/cattle ranch in the country.!
SERVPRO of Waco, a restoration company, has served folks in the greater Waco and Central Texas area with exceptional service since 2001!