What Is Black Mold?
Is it BLACK MOLD?
Well, if it is black...then yes, it is, by color.
The black mold which strikes fear into one's heart is Stachybotrys chartarum or "stackie-bot-tris".
Nasty, toxic stuff, for sure, in large quantities.
There are many, many types of fungi ("fun-guy" - plural for fungus) and 37, or so, types of mold. Many of these fungi and molds are black.
While not the "black widow" mold, many types of mold can produce allergens and irritants.
Treat mold with caution, but not panic. Sensationalized news reports and "over the fence" gossip have led folks to panic about mold. It has a "we can't see it and it might be everywhere" aura.
Treat any mold with caution - stay out of the affected areas as much as possible and don't touch it or disturb it.
If you suspect you have mold, call us at SERVPRO of Waco, a restoration company. Since 2001 we have been successfully helping greater Waco and Central Texas folks with mold guidance and mold removal.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Waco immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (254) 756-4300
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Waco is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
SERVPRO of Waco proudly serves Waco, Woodway, Hewitt, and surrounding areas.